Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Let us Recycle , retired Tyres

 Dear Shri Nitin Gadkariji ( Minister for Highways )


Ø  I urge you to consider this as an “ opportunity “ to be exploited by shredding / reprocessing such tyres and using these for construction of Asphalt / Cement Concrete , roads / highways

Following technologies are available ( either established or under development ):

Shredded Rubber as Asphalt Modifier:

Crumb rubber from used tyres can be mixed with asphalt, enhancing its flexibility, durability, and resistance to cracking. This reduces asphalt consumption and potentially lowers construction costs. Studies suggest a 10-30% asphalt content reduction and improved road performance.


Rubberized Concrete:

Incorporating crumb rubber into concrete mixtures can lead to lighter, more flexible, and noise-reducing pavements. However, this technology is still evolving and requires further research and optimization.


Rubber Content per Kilometer:

Different road construction methods utilize varying crumb rubber proportions. Research suggests 1.5-2.5 tonnes of crumb rubber per kilometer for asphalt modification and up to 10 tonnes for rubberized concrete (still under development).


Dear Shri Gadkariji ,

I am sure that , in addition to these 3 lakh tonnes ( 300,000 tonnes ) of imported tyres , a huge amount must be getting discarded from India-made tyres , every year

Assuming a figure of usage of scrapped tyres at 10 tonnes / km of Concrete roads , this would suffice for 30,000 Km of roads EVERY YEAR !

If used for construction of Asphalt roads , this would suffice for 120,000 Km of asphalt roads EVERY YEAR  !

No comments:

Post a Comment